Wednesday, January 1, 2014

2013.

I can't believe it's already this time of the year! 2013 has come and gone, and 2014 is now upon us. This year has certainly been life changing, and one roller coaster after another, but overall it has just been such a year of growth for me.

Last night I had the pleasure of ringing in the New Year with some new friends. And we went around the table saying what our most memorable part of the year was, and one of the girls noted how much she has grown this year and she is in such a different place than last year, and I found myself nodding in agreement for me. I am drastically in a different place than I was last year. God has changed my heart and mind in ways I never thought possible, and I can't wait to see what He has in store for me this year.

So as with every year, here is a list of some memorable things. Not everything is on here, I'm sure there are plenty of things I have forgotten…but here it is nonetheless!


  • This year I started graduate school! What a crazy ride and it's halfway over!! Graduate school is amazing and I love all of it. Learning more and more about my future career and passion in life is such a blessing!
  • I got my braces off!! No more looking like an awkward teen.
  • Going on my second camping trip, but this time with my amazing Connection Group. There were some really awesome friendships I made from that group, and getting the opportunity to camp out was really fun.
  • Brittney Griner. Enough said. It was such a great experience to see her play at Baylor and watch game after game as she continued to break records and started her career in the WNBA.
  • Passing the 3 year mark with this blog!! I never imagined my blog would mean so much to me when I started, but I am so glad that I pressed on and did it. It's amazing to see how far I've come in just a few short years.
  • Brinkley turned one!!! Such a mom, I know, but it is crazy to think he is almost two now!! He is such a constant joy in my life and helps me get through everything.
  • April 17 was the West fertilizer plant explosion, which followed closely after the Boston marathon bombing. I have personal friends who are still dealing with the effects of the explosion, and being so close to a disaster and the after effects was a very sobering experience.
  • Along the same lines on May 20th a tornado ravaged Oklahoma. It's so humbling to see the power of mother nature, but very heartening to see how people stand together a work to help out people in need.
  • Going to Mayo. Well, this event alone has already gotten me 3-4 separate posts that you can check out for the full story. But my world got turned upside down this summer! Finally after 24 years getting a full and complete diagnosis - though different than expected, was indescribable. And then getting to spend a month with amazing people who struggle with chronic pain as I do, and getting to go on a journey with them to remember how to live life in spite of everything and being in control of my life again. Chronic pain is always going to be a part of my story, but it's not what my story is about anymore.
  • Government shenanigans have been rampant over this year. With all the problems going on in Syria and potentially attacking them, and then the government shutting down….craziness. I won't go into more of that though.
  • Miley Cyrus. Enough said.
  • Baylor Scott & White merger has been a huge change this year!! Things are still changing where I work and there are many changes to happen in the future, but it is exciting to see all these huge companies coming together and working as a part of the largest not-for-profit healthcare system in Texas! It is such a blessing to not only have a job, but to have one I love and to be surrounding by amazing people is an even bigger blessing.
  • This year a new head pastor began at my church, and he has also been such a blessing. I think he fits well with our church and is leading it in a way that is God-driven. He has a way of sharing the Word that is convicting and always is right on point! 
  • This year, unfortunately as is a part of every year, there were losses. I had three friends within a pretty short time frame lose one of their parents. And that is SUCH a hard thing! I cannot even imagine all that they are going through, but I know that Heaven gained 3 more angels, and even more this year. Loss is unfortunately part of this life, but it is comforting to know that there is a life indescribably better than this one waiting for those of us who believe in Christ.
  • Cornerstone. This semester a great group has started that allow singles from churches all over Waco to fellowship together. It's so hard to meet singles my age, and that's what this group has allowed me to do! Being able to socialize and be around people in my stage of life who aren't married (not that I'm at all dissing young married couples) or having kids yet, and having a network of friends in town. Most all of my friends have graduated and moved all over the nation, so it's nice to have some really great people so close!
  • Catching Fire!!!! I waited so long for this movie to come out!! And it was definitely good. The books are of course much better, but the movie is very true to the book and I can't wait for the others to come out! 
  • Nelson Mandela passing. Nelson Mandela has been such a global icon for so many years and it was definitely sad to see him go. But he had such an incredible life and left such an impact on millions of people. I can only hope when I go that I leave an impact on someone.
  • Becoming a DTR. My new year ended with passing my registration exam to be a diet tech! It is such a relief to have that finished, and now I begin having initials behind my name! I'm really excited to see where my career is going to go from here!
  • This year I had New Year's Eve plans!! Most years I don't really do anything, but this year I got to celebrate with some really awesome people and it was a really great way to end the year.

So that was basically my year in a very tiny nutshell.  I hope this new year brings you joy and happiness!

No comments:

Post a Comment