Wednesday, July 15, 2015

Finally.

Hey people!

I have super exciting news! So, usually I am not a big fan of Nike - but they finally have done something that many companies should have done long ago! Tomorrow there will be a new shoe on the shelf called FlyEase, made especially for disabled patients!

I often have issues with my hands, and it's hard to get my legs in a comfortable position to properly tie my shoes. And when you're 25, it's a bit embarrassing to ask someone else to tie them. Not only is it hard to tie, but physically getting the shoes on and off can be a challenge! Not just for me, but for anyone suffering from motor function deficiencies, such as with Parkinson's, cerebral palsy, etc. 

With FlyEase the back of the shoe opens up similar to a door hinge, so your foot can easily slip in and out, with a zipper closure designed to be operated with a single hand. And instead of traditional laces there is a Velcro flap to keep it tight! 

This probably doesn't seem overly excited to a healthy person, who has probably not even thought twice about putting tennis shoes on before. But as someone who sometimes struggles with footwear, I am completely stoked about this!! And hopefully now other companies will follow suit and will begin making more accessible shoes as well!

Unfortunately right now there are only men's sizes, and they start at 7. So Nike is choosing to cut out a huge portion of disabled patients...but maybe in time they will be more inclusive. 



No comments:

Post a Comment