Saturday, January 2, 2016

2015!

“Something is going to come out of this. Something new. This can end you up in a whole new place—a better place, a much more open place” -Pema Chodron, author 

I know I'm a couple days late, but better late than never, right?? As I sit here, thoughts racing, pondering what all has happened in the past year I must say I'm a bit overwhelmed! I spent so much of 2014 wishing 2015 would hurry up and arrive, but now it's gone. 

If I had to sum up the past year in one word, it would be change - a word I typically don't like. This past year has been the pinnacle of a lifetime of school work and the beginning of my career. January-July I basically had fallen off the social planet because I was doing my dietetic internship, studying for my RD exam and everything that entailed. I traveled to Iowa for the first time and experienced -20 degree weather, which was...an adventure to say the least. 

Perhaps one of the biggest leaps I made this year was in July. For the first time in my life, I ventured off to a new city where I knew no one and nothing...scary. It is completely unmistakable that God wants me to be in Marble Falls, and 5 months later there are still some days that I wonder what that reason is. I've begun my career, found an incredible home church, and am finally settling into this town I now call home, but this journey is definitely an ongoing process of faith and trust. 

This year was definitely not without it's hardships. Between all the shootings, terrorist attacks, and the largest hurricane in recorded history, there were many moments that made me question what this world is coming to. This year I lost loved ones, as did many others. My dear friend Jessica was tragically taken way too early from this world, sweet Al Brown was taken from us, and I lost my grandpa right before Christmas. 

While this year did have it's low points, there were definitely great memories made! My brother got married, which was an unforgettable experience. And now I have a sister in law AND a niece! Getting to be a part of their special day was a highlight for sure. And for the first time, I hosted Christmas for my family! Not all of us could physically be together, but thanks to technology we still got to experience it with my brother and his bride. 

I'm not really into the whole new year's resolution thing, but going into 2016 I'm hopeful. I'm ready to fully settle into this new place in my life: a new town, becoming more comfortable in my career, hopefully making new friendships, and making the relationships I already have even stronger. 

No comments:

Post a Comment