Wednesday, June 13, 2012

HALTS

Happy Summer everyone!!! Hope whatever your plans are, that this post finds you well! Brinkley has certainly been keeping me busy, and it's truly like having a baby to take care of a puppy full time!! He brings such joy to me, and is a super funny dog though...so that makes potty training frustrating lessen a bit ;)

I have recently switched churches. It's been a long time coming, and a prayerful decision that has been covered with friendly advice. I've only been at my new church a week and I already love it! I'm already being challenged more than I have in months at my previous one. Tonight was the first time I went to the college Bible study, and it's exactly what I've been looking for, and the challenge I need. And I want to share that knowledge and challenge with you!

This summer the college pastor (hereafter referred to as Kyle!) is taking a movie as a basis for study each week. Now, let me ward off any suspicions of what I had thought when I heard that. He's not taking them and turning them into Bible stories or trying to prove that there are Christian symbols in movies or dissecting them to a "T". It is merely taking a storyline and building from that. Tonight's movie was Snow White and the Huntsmen....which about 3 people had seen. And according to Kyle, if you haven't seen it yet...don't. I was sort of on the fence about it myself and definitely don't plan to see it...or if I do, to only waste $1 and watch it through Redbox.

Anyway, I digress...

One of the main points of his message tonight was from 1 Peter 5:8-9a. For your convenience, here it is:

Be alert and of sober mind. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour.  Resist him, standing firm in the faith.

We (myself included) must remember that as Christians we are fighting a war. Satan is our enemy and adversary as a default. Right now he has sent his little minions on YOU. Their assignment. As the verse says he is CONSTANTLY preying on you, looking for your weakness to exploit. Don't give him the satisfaction of a victory. So we must be alert and of sober mind...constantly on guard and resisting the temptation to give in to that weakness. One thing Kyle mentioned was an acronym that has stuck with me, and it will certainly stick with me as well. HALTS. Hungry, Angry, Lonely, Tired, Sick. Think about it! These situations are the ones in which we are most vulnerable! So in these states of mind we must be even more cautious and on guard for Satan to work against us.

Tonight really convicted me, and while I know you didn't hear his message, I hope it at least got you thinking. I have been in a vulnerable state quite frequently as of late, and have at times let Satan take advantage of that. But this verse is a good reminder and encouragement for everyone to guard their hearts and minds....and always remember we are at war, and not to let Satan win!

No comments:

Post a Comment