Saturday, August 21, 2010

Parla come magni.

So I'm reading Eat Pray Love, and I really am enjoying it! I originally started it before the movie, but didn't get a chance to finish it before the movie came out, but I'm working on finishing it before school starts.

I sometimes am sad that we speak English. I know that sounds really strange....but how many times have you heard in translations that there just isn't a good English comparative?? I know I've heard it several times in church when trying to literally translate from the original Greek and Hebrew....the English comparatives just don't sound the same or bring the same intensity. And while reading this book, it would appear the same case is with Italian.

I'm not going to give away anything that happens, but on Liz's journey she does learn Italian. Over and over she marvels at how extravagant and beautiful the language is, and it really is! But one of the Roman phrases she talks about really stuck out to me. "Parla come magni". It just sounds so fluent and free flowing! It literally means "speak the way you eat" or in her own personal translation "Say it like you eat it." And to Americans, this doesn't make sense. It's just a reminder that when you can't seem to find the right words to say, or you don't know how to explain what you're thinking, to just say it like Roman food is made...simple. Romans use the simplest ingredients and don't make a big production of their food.

I just thought this was a really cool phrase. So many times in my life I have found myself without words. Tons of thoughts, but no way to put it into words. So many times I overanalyze everything and make things harder than they have to be. So I should just speak it like I eat it...and just have it be simple and lay it on the table.

No comments:

Post a Comment