Monday, March 28, 2011

What's Under Your Dresser?

Yesterday at church we had college Sunday. The college ministry was in charge of leading the whole service, and my college pastor gave a message...one that really convicted me. Cliff note version of the sermon: When Jeff (my pastor) was younger, one particular night at bed time he was paralyzed with the gripping fear that whatever was under his dresser was going to decapitate him or come out guns/swords/blades flinging the moment his eyes shut to go to sleep. After much deliberation about his options on getting out alive, he managed to get his parents to come in to stop the villain. Turns out his terrifying assassin under his dresser was a pair of jeans he had worn the previous day.

He used this as an illustration as a parallel to our lives, and how sometime so small can be terrifying, and that gripping fear can stop us from pursuing God wholeheartedly, or stop us from following the path He has prepared for us. So, naturally the question was raised "What fear is keeping you away?" And then several college students brought a physical item that was representative of their fears, and they were scattered across the alter so that people could respond to God through prayer, near the items that were representative of their fears.

There were several different fears, ranging from public speaking to disappointing loved ones, and future uncertainty to exhaustion. That got me thinking....if I were asked to bring a physical item representing what stops me from being all that God has for me, what would it be?


A brace.

Having MD is hard. There are no easy days. I have to work twice as hard just to keep up with people on their slow days. A lot of the time I wonder how God is using me to glorify Him. How can I, ME, do anything to further His great, pleasing, and perfect plan? I'm just a broken person who has a disability. I don't feel worthy enough to be included in something so amazing. But regardless of my imperfections, Christ is shown through them and shows His strength in an even bigger way. I don't know what God's plan for me is. I don't know how He is going to use me for His kingdom.....but I do know that He will.

So the question is....what is under your dresser, that's holding you back?

No comments:

Post a Comment