Sunday, April 4, 2010

Happy Ending.

Yay it's Easter!!! SUCH a mindblowing day. Not only did Christ die an excruciating death FOR ME, but He flippin' rose from the dead!! How many people can say that?!

Being Easter, I went to church with my parents this week. I absolutely LOVE my church (Columbus Ave), but I figured I should be with my family today, and the sermon was really cool.

The pastor talked about sad stories and sad movies and he asked an interesting question. Why do we watch sad movies? People ask me all the time why I want to watch Steel Magnolias all the time and why I love it, and my answer has always been "because it has a happy ending!" And that's why sad stories and movies are so endearing to us, because through the struggle and sadness, some good comes of it.

He had an interesting anecdote as well. He was talking about going to see a sad movie with one of his guy friends and his friend noted he wasn't going to pay $10 to come out of something more depressed then he was before he went in....and sad he could do the same at church for free. And he said as a pastor that kind of hurt his feelings, but it's true sometimes. Especially during this Lenten season, the church tells a lot of sad stories with a seemingly not happy ending. All Christ's trials, being betrayed by a close and trusted friend, having another close friend deny Him, all the pain associated with his death and the trials before then....all very, very sad stories.

But good news, friends!! This story has a happy ending!! Three days later Christ rose from the dead, and thousands of years later we still celebrate his victory over death. He is alive and well, and getting Heaven ready for us! So today, focus on the happy ending :)

No comments:

Post a Comment